Friday, October 11, 2013

Featured Artist - Jake Down


“It started out as a passion for the written word - Communicating beauty, heartache, and hope through song... With time, skill developed and music evolved.” Jake Down

Heather Renee:  Are you a writer first?

Jake Down:  Yeah I started writing in grade school, long before i did anything with music.

Heather Renee:  When did you realize that music was going to be something you wanted to pursue?

Jake Down:  I always enjoyed music, but didn't get my start until late college actually.

Heather Renee:  Does it run in your family?

Jake Down:  My mom sings, but that's about the extent of it.

Heather Renee:  I saw on Facebook that you like: Rusty and Kelsey Vining, The Koh Koh's, Stavesacre, Mike Mains & the Branches, Rocky Votolato, Audrey, Uncommon Road, Nathan Gafford, who do you feel you sound like?

Jake Down:  I don't know who I sound like really, but some of my biggest influences are Rocky Votolato, Frank Turner and Dustin Kensrue.

Heather Renee:  What is your genre?

Jake Down: Folk Rock

Heather Renee:  If you could open for someone who would it be and why?

Jake Down:  Probably Rocky Votolato, he's an awesome down to earth guy and I really look up to him as a musician.

Heather Renee:  Which instruments do you play?

Jake Down:  Acoustic Guitar, Harmonica, a little drums.

Heather Renee: Tell us about your independent artist grind?

Jake Down:  Just keep moving. Pursuing your passion means being patient. It's hard work, but easy things aren't worth living for.

Heather Renee: What is your measure of success?

Jake Down:  Any time I get to share my music and my experience with people it's a success. I'd love to break out of Michigan and tour more extensively, play some major venues and festivals, but I am just as in love with small intimate house shows for the neighbors.

Heather Renee:  Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Jake Down:  Touring outside of Michigan regularly, with a few more releases under my belt.

Heather Renee:  What advice would you give to other singer/songwriters?

Jake Down:  Write music that you like and be honest.

Heather Renee:  I see that you just released a new EP called Shipwreck where did you record it?

Jake Down:  The Foxboro in Grand Rapids MI.

Heather Renee:  Who produced it?

Jake Down:  Mike Cervantes produced and mixed it.

Heather Renee:  How can we find out more about you?

Jake Down:  www.jakedown.com

No comments:

Post a Comment